Harvard Housing applicants and residents will receive email updates. They will come from firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, or “via yardi.com” and we advise that you regularly check your junk and spam filters for them.
Selecting a Unit
In response to the uncertainty generated by the current health crisis, Harvard University Housing (HUH) has made several important adjustments to our policies, conditions, and standard lease terms in order to afford applicants greater flexibility and to facilitate decision making. The information below pertains to the 2020-2021 lease year only.
View and Select Dates/Currently Available List Explained
- Your view date is when when you can see detailed information about available units. We suggest you create wish list of 10 or more options.
- Your select date is when you get to choose a specific unit. Note that you share your select date with hundreds of other applicants and availability changes by the minute. Remember your "wish list" options when logging on to select a unit.
- If any apartments remain after the last View and Select dates, they will be moved to the Currently Available list. Approved applicants who have not yet selected a unit will be able to choose one from this list.
If you apply by May 29, 2020
- Affiliates whose eligible applications are received by this date will be randomly assigned View and Select dates, during which they may select an apartment from the housing inventory available at that time.
- The View and Select assignments will be emailed to approved applicants by the end of the day on June 3. The first View and Select dates for all incoming HUH applicants will begin on June 8, with successive dates likely to run through late June, or until the inventory is depleted.
If you apply after May 29, 2020 and before the last View and Select Dates
- Affiliates whose eligible applications are received during this time will be assigned the last View and Select dates that are offered.
If you apply after the last View and Select Dates
- Affiliates whose eligible applications are received after the last View and Select dates will be able to select a unit from the Currently Available list. Check back frequently as units are added throughout the year
HUH Leases (2020-2021 leasing season)
- HUH will take all reasonable measures to offer flexibility in lease start dates to complement School/program schedules.
- Each unit will have a date noted as to when it is available for occupancy. After making their selection, applicants will be asked to propose a lease start date. The lease can be started on the apartment availability date or on a later date (no later than September 1, 2020), and calculation of the initial rent payment will be based on the chosen lease start date.
- Be sure to include the exact address and unit number when communicating with the Leasing Team.
- If circumstances change and the applicant/tenant is unable to arrive on the chosen lease start date or changes their mind and wishes to arrive earlier than their chosen lease start date, they must notify HUH immediately. HUH will adjust the commencement of the lease and adjust the rent charges.
- If the tenant is unable to take occupancy, upon notification to HUH and verification from the School, HUH will terminate the lease, end rent responsibility, and refund rent payments.
- Standard terms regarding joint and several liability for leases with roommates will apply under the new lease. Please take this into consideration in your decision making.
submitting an application
- Before submitting an application, please check your eligibility, the occupancy guidelines, and read all the information in the tabs below.
- We will send an email within three business days of receiving your application letting you know if it is approved (validated), denied, or if more information is required.
- Applications will not be processed until all requested information is submitted.
- Important information regarding your application is sent to you via email, so regularly check the email address used in your application, as well as your spam filter. Emails may come from firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, or “via yardi.com”.
- Lease start dates are negotiable for the 2020-2021 leasing season.
- The Select process is "first-click, first-served" so a unit you viewed may not be available when you attempt to select it.
- We suggest you have more than one unit you would consider choosing; take advantage of your "View" day to create this list.
- After you click the "Select" button you will be asked to “Confirm” your selection. Please be absolutely sure of your selection before you click "Confirm."
- See below as to what will happen if you wish to change your mind after confirming.
- Once you select a unit a leasing coordinator will validate your selection and you will receive an email within two business days notifying you that your lease documents are ready for e-signature.
- The documents will include the date by which you must submit your signed documents and initial payment.
- Please be sure to regularly check the email account you used on your application, as well as your spam filter.
- Once you receive email notification that HUH has executed your signed lease, you are considered a future resident, not an applicant. From now on, you will want to log in to the Resident Portal to view your account.
VERY IMPORTANT! If you make a mistake or change your mind after confirming your selection, please contact us immediately.
- We can cancel your request and you must submit a new application.
- It can take up to three business days for an application to be approved.
- Once your new application is approved the only inventory you will have access to is that on Currently Available. If you had been in a select Window, you will NOT be able to get back into the same window and will NOT be reassigned to another window.
Questions? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617 495-1459.
- Click here for complete details about HUH Pet-Friendly Housing Policies and a list of apartments that are pet friendly.
- To find buildings with furnished units you can select "furnished" as an option when viewing our properties or you can view a complete list of furnished units.
- Furnishings may vary between units and you will need to view the unit rider carefully for details regarding specific furnishings. You can get a general idea about furnishings by viewing the furnished unit list.
- Note: A property with any furnished apartments will show up when you search for furnished apartments. However, it does not guarantee that there are furnished apartments in all unit sizes. Please view the complete list of furnished units for details.
Cronkhite Graduate Center
HUH offers 120 traditional furnished residence hall units with common baths and kitchens in the Cronkhite Graduate Center. Note that a meal plan is required. Click here for details about applying to live in Cronkhite.
4-6 Mount Auburn Street
Note: Availability of special housing options is limited. Please visit the specific property pages for more information.
HUH applicants and residents. Do NOT share any personal information, including but not limited to Harvard University Housing login and password, offer letter, school acceptance letter and lease approval letter with anyone other than a member of the Harvard University Housing staff. This information is not required by potential applicants, residents, roommates, or subletters. If you get such a request from an email address with an extension other than harvard.edu, or if you are unsure about the validity of such a request, please call (617) 495-1459 or email the Leasing Office.